Saturday, May 30, 2009

Euphoria, Hopes...

It feels good to rest after handing in the final version of my dissertation for the MA Human Rights Practice. The last 4 or 5 weeks have been tough! I now await presentation of the paper and graduation in London next month. The two year adventure is close to an end and I want to walk by faith into the future in terms of employment and everything else.
The Malawian president Bingu wa Mutharika continues to amaze me. He floored a combined force of MCP and UDF in the recent general elections to win a second and final term in office. The feat and its margin are simply mind-boggling. I say congratulations! The euphoria at Bingu's triumph reminded me of 1993-94 when single party dictatorship was defeated by the masses through the ballot.
My prayer is that things will not go awry like they did in the post-tyranny era.
I hope schools will be fixed for mostly they are in shambles as the picture below shows of learning infrastructure right in the city of Blantyre.

(Likhubula Primary School, Chilomoni)

I was listening to a political analyst from Cape Town University in South Africa, Kimberly Smiddy the other day on the radio. She suggested that an opposition figure should lead the Public Accounts Committee in the Malawian parliament. I thought that was a good idea considering that the opposition is in minority, and there is need to have strong checks and balances. I hear this is an arrangement at Westminster (U.K.) Thanks be to God for the peaceful vote in Malawi.

2 Comments:

At 2 June 2009 at 01:06:00 CEST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The treasury committe chairman for the commons in westminster is John McFall, a Labour guy but the deputy is Conservative. Good suggestion anyway

 
At 5 August 2009 at 14:26:00 CEST, Blogger Joe Mlenga said...

Thanks for the enlightenment. Keep the comments coming!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home