Saturday, July 02, 2011

The pride of Malawi

Lately, I have been reflecting on the social, economic and political woes affecting Malawi. I have felt as a country we are going nowhere with the leadership seemingly out of sync with realities on the ground...what the populace wants of it, what is needful at this hour, and being mindful of legacy. (Do African leaders care at all about the legacy they will leave behind?)
For the first time, I empathised with those that recant their nationalities and turn to be citizens of other countries!

But between 1 and 4 June, I was at the University of Pretoria in South Africa to attend a continental human rights conference. On the sidelines of the gathering I overhead a lecturer talking good about Malawi!! The tutor, a white lady was saying she likes teaching students from Malawi and Botswana.
When I drew closer and sought clarification, the woman said Malawian and Botswana students have a great attitude compared to those from South Africa. A warm glow gripped my heart. It wasn't so bad after all to be Malawian! I felt proud to be a native of the 'Warm Heart of Africa'.

It shall be well with Malawi, and may all its enemies be scattered! May Psalm 27 encourage Malawians.

2 Comments:

At 5 June 2012 at 16:13:00 CEST, Blogger Unknown said...

I am proud to be a Malawian too.....

 
At 31 July 2019 at 13:42:00 CEST, Anonymous properties on rent at Malawi said...

Malawi is really nice country

 

Post a Comment

<< Home