Saturday, June 19, 2010

Lilongwe is...

I have been in Malawi's capital Lilongwe for over a month now, working for an international NGO involved in good governance and rule of law. It has been good experience especially when dealing with politicians in matters of allowances to attend workshops of national interest. One MP at a certain function said it is untrue that legislators are 'expensive'and are demanding when they are called to attend functions organised by the civil society. The reactions from the audience seemed to suggest the opposite was true.

But do we Malawians have to be paid always to brain-storm on crucial matters affecting the nation? How justifiable is that payment? Are we so immersed in a culture of receiving money to do things that we are already paid for? ( For example a journalist receiving 'allowance' to cover a function).

On another note Lilongwe is in my opinion overtaking Blantyre as a hub of commerce. I see industy, enterprise and hard-work from as early as 6am to dusk in the bazaars and market-place. I feel people in Lilongwe farm more, work more, trade more than the counterparts in Blantyre.

3 Comments:

At 20 June 2010 at 20:02:00 CEST, Blogger vee said...

Joe, if you can, please post some pictures of the new developments in Lilongwe like new parliament building, the presindetial way and the like.

Regards
-Vee

 
At 16 July 2010 at 12:04:00 CEST, Blogger Joe Mlenga said...

I will try my best Vee. I normally reside in Blantyre, so if I go to Lilongwe again I will capture those structures.

 
At 12 June 2019 at 07:06:00 CEST, Blogger yanmaneee said...

nike jordans
goyard handbags
vapormax
jordan shoes
golden goose slide
lacoste outlet
nike air max
michael kors sale
nike shox
moncler

 

Post a Comment

<< Home