Wednesday, June 20, 2007

THE MORE I LEARN...

It is amazing how true Malawi's former leader Kamuzu Banda said when he proclaimed that "learning never stops'. The more I learn about God, life, people, music the more I realise I have a long way to go..... and the more I see my ignorance!
I was talking about music and musicians with this good friend of mine who likes to be anonymous on my blog. She questioned the originality of some of Malawi's gospel artists. My take was it is hard to be original in the early stages of one's career...but as you grow, an identity is established.
When I was learning creative writing, I emulated mainly greats like Catherine Cookson and PG Wodehouse. As I continue learning the guitar, my main inspiration has been my uncle Don Mlenga, a jazz guitarist. But the sounds I produce are from what I pick up from Eric Paliani one of my mentors now in South Africa, and international artists such as Earl Klugh, Paul Jackson Junior, George Benson, Jonathan Butler and Lee Ritenour.
Jazzman

Each song I play never misses some sound I heard from this eminent guitarists, but as I grow in music I believe I will be able to have my own trademark sounds.Joe3


Man is an interesting creature, that pretends to the extreme. The heart of man...so deceitful! The scripture is Psalm 121..that 'My help comes from the Lord'...has never been so true to me. When you ask man to do something they will disappoint you, or they will backbite and gossip...in short they will disappoint you. But when you ask God, there is no disappointment, and it's all neat!!

1 Comments:

At 29 June 2007 at 18:52:00 CEST, Blogger ndagha said...

Joe, I am proud of your interest and edge in playing music. I attempted to start playing a guitar and a keyboard during the first 3 months of this year in Sweden but I realised that my deep seated intentions were blown by lack of a coach. I am still keen to learn though sometimes I feel I should simply confess failure in this area and move on with knowing playing some of these instruments. The consolation is that I sing very well, can easily play traditional drums and of course clap with competence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home