Friday, October 19, 2007

MOURNING LUCKY DUBE....



My friend in Blantyre, Malawi, Michaella broke the news of the passing on of Lucky Dube, arguably South Africa's most popular reggae artist. Dube was killed last night by armed bandits in Johannesburg trying to steal his car.
000070449a[1]
I am shocked at the death of this artist I consider a legend and special. Growing up in a poor neighbourhood of Blantyre, I identified with his lyrics of social justice, suffering and hope for tomorrow. I attended Lucky Dube's show in Blantyre in 1990 ...the best I have ever seen, and the patronage was huge!
I sometimes saw the influence of Peter Tosh in Lucky Dube's music, and I'm struck that Dube has met a violent death just like Peter Tosh...at the hands of merciless killers.
Like a true genius Dube did not live long...he shook and made a mark on the world stage and went too soon, just like other music greats like Bob Marley, Malawi's Evison Matafale, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain and Elvis Presley.
The music of Lucky Dube will live on and the world will remember him just like he sang 'Remember Me'.
Untitled-3[1]
Rest in peace, great son of Africa.
Untitled-6[1]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home