Saturday, August 01, 2009

On the shoulders...

It was my birthday two days ago and I felt quite old when some friend texted me a message citing my age. But then my sister reminded me how blessed it was to reach that age when other folks are dying younger than myself. I thank God to have eaten so many Christmases!

I heard my senior pastor make a quote of a famous scientist Isaac Newton that said 'If I see far it is because I stand on the shoulders of other people'. Profound! Many are a time we forget how family, friends and relatives have carried us to success. I can single out my mom, my sis Chitsanzo, late sis Anne, late aunt Pauline Kwacha, my uncle Don Mlenga, Rev Patrick Semphere, Mr Henry Yakobe, Victor Kaonga, Fletcher Ziwoya, late Don Chimera, the Baliles family, Bruce and Derek Zamaere as some of the people who I have stood on their shoulders on my way to some achievements in my life.
When the youth are having their values upside down it is important to have mentors to show them the way they should go. Having grown largely without a father, I know the need to have a father-figure, or a 'prophet' who will teach, correct and rebuke!

On another note I have been in Malawi for over a month now and I'm yet to find a job. It is easy to start thinking 'Maybe I should have stayed on in Europe' having met an unexpected responses from some bosses and organisations who seemed they would welcome me with three arms upon my return! Still, I feel I made the right move and everything will fall into place in good time. God is faithful, He will not let my foot slip (Psalm 121).
Stay blessed and focused on the goodness of God. May He prosper and encourage you!! Especially you who feel you are going nowhere!!

2 Comments:

At 5 August 2009 at 16:08:00 CEST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, I feel humbled to be mentioned within the same breath as the late Don Chimera, Patrick Semphere and the fact that I made an impression on your life. The treatment and assistance and I extended to you was a way of passing on what others have done for me in life. I also have my own chain of names of people who made me what I am today. What I can say is that: pass it on to whoever needs support and encouragement...that is the only way to create a better world not only for ourselves but everyone. As for your decision to go back home, that is an honorable decision-Malawi will always be grateful for that...may be not now but sooner or later.

fletcher

 
At 6 August 2009 at 11:17:00 CEST, Blogger Joe Mlenga said...

Fletcher, I will always treasure your inspiration at BH and outside it. Thanks also for those encouraging words. Stay blessed

 

Post a Comment

<< Home