Friday, August 15, 2008

Now in Tromsø...


It's a funny old world. Last week I was in Malawi, the UK and this week I'm in Tromsø the northern part of Norway. I will be at University of Tromsø for a semester, and this institution is said to be the northern-most university on the globe. Looking at a world map it is clear Tromsø is quite close to the Arctic Circle...brrrrrrr!!
The town is small but incredibly beautiful...there are hills that remind me of Michiru, Ndirande, Soche and Mpingwe around Blantyre in Malawi, and there is a lake and dams to spice up the environment.

The views are stunning and the air in the morning incredibly fresh.




It is hard to sleep at the moment as there is a brief period of 'darkness'...by Malawian standards, kachisisila, (twilight) between Midnight and 1am!

Also it takes 40 minutes to walk between the campus and the hostels. By the time winter arrives, this will be a concern!

It is not easy to adjust with the Malawian, British and Swedish way of doings things quite fresh on the mind. Imagine: I was bamboozled by the shower in my bath and it took some 5minutes before I figured out how to operate it!! Obtaining a simcard and activating it has been an experience worth noting...passport details taken and waiting for severals before it is operational!!
At the moment I'm way out of my comfort zone especially with my laptop broken down and being homesick and pining for the ones I love in Malawi. But as always, God's grace is always sufficient. I'm sure Tromsø will be part of me in time to come just like London, Reading, Ørebro and Gothenburg.

2 Comments:

At 20 August 2008 at 11:22:00 CEST, Blogger Stella said...

Its interesting, Joe,well here its summer but its still cold. Don't worry, the Lord will take care of the rest,You will never walk alone.
Lets keep in touch as I will be updating u on events in our country. By the way, Emeritus Bishop James Chiona is dead.

 
At 22 August 2008 at 13:42:00 CEST, Blogger Joe Mlenga said...

Thanks...sad about Chiona, he was an eminent cleric during his time. I will appreciate the updates!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home