Saturday, January 19, 2008

Fire Alarm...


There was high drama in the small hours of yesterday ( 1.30am) as a fire alarm went off at Whitelands College, an arm of Roehampton University, where I am based. Hundreds of students in the halls of residence including my own, Beverley, rushed downstairs as per fire drills, to gather at the assembly point in front of the hostels.
I didn't believe that it was a genuine inferno in the offing and I had to be persuaded by the hall rep, Emma, to come out of my room. I took my time and dressed up almost fully, including a winter jacket and took along my passport, the various cards that govern life here in Europe and my camera.
It was interesting to see the gathering of the students..some in pajamas, some in coats some shivering in the cold, yet others smoking cigarettes.
The fire brigade came and it turned out to be a false fire alarm. It was hard to sleep after the hustle and bustle and attendance was affected with regard to classes at the university.

2 Comments:

At 20 January 2008 at 15:32:00 CET, Blogger Cryton said...

the various cards that govern life here in Europe!!!!!:-)

 
At 20 January 2008 at 16:11:00 CET, Blogger Joe Mlenga said...

Yes: bank card, library card, hostel entrance card, telephone card....its like the MCP's khadi la umembala ( if you dont have it, or lose it, you are in trouble!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home